Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kravers Handled my Cravings

I went to a place called Kravers Frozen Custard for lunch today. This is a local restaurant in the Milwaukee area. It boasts over 100 items on the menu and good size portions at reasonable prices. One of the first impressions I got was cleanliness with plenty of sitting room. The other impression I got was that it was hardly any kind of custard shop. The menu board looked fairly intimidating spreading across about 25 feet of overhead space covering foods from Europe, Mexico, and the US, but I managed to get through the selections and find something that appealed to me, the pulled pork sandwich. This was a strange beginning to a restaurant considered to be fast food.

My food was served in about one minute. It was a good looking sandwich sitting in the black plastic platter plate next to a heaping helping of fries. I think I would have liked to see a little more pulled pork or a less bulky bun to make it a tad better, but it was pretty good as it was. The sauce had a good mixture of spiciness and tanginess, and was not too messy. The pork was pretty good, too. It was tender and the sauce certainly boosted the flavor. The bun was large and fluffy, and had a little of the sauce subtly seeping into the bun from the inside. It made the bun seem thinner than it was, which was helpful. The fries were nothing spectacular visually or taste wise, but were plentiful. They were just your typical Orida type wrinkle cut fries. The drink selections were the usual suspects of soft drinks.
The cool factor was the plasticware dispensers. Forks, knives, and spoons were held in lever activated dispensers. Pushing down a lever on the appropriate dispenser kicked out a fork, knife, or spoon. Out of all of the restaurants I have ever visited, and trust me there have been a lot, I have never come across something like these dispensers. The knife dispenser was the coolest. It actually jettisoned a knife out with gusto. I had to fight the urge to pick up the dispenser, face it outward, and start pushing on the lever like it was a semi-automatic weapon yelling like Rambo and swinging it around in slow mation. I think that would have been pretty fun. Even the drink lids were held in a nicely organized dispenser. Tables were well spaced and the booths had plenty of room. Unfortunately, the drink dispenser area gets a little crowded due to patrons waiting around for food to come out. The pickup area and drink dispenser are very close to each other leaving little space for congregation and those wanting to get a drink. That’s when you grab the knife dispenser and start shooting to get people to back off.

Ultimately, my meal was rather inexpensive, about $8, for what I got. I liked the pulled pork sandwich, but the bun could have been a little thinner. It didn’t overpower the sandwich, but it could have come very close rather easily had the sauce not slightly seeped into the bun and the bun not be as fluffy as it was. Those stiff, thick buns that I run into from time to time at other places would have ruined this sandwich. I would consider this a fast food restaurant with a choice for everyone. If you are craving anything from gyros to quesadillas to burgers to bbq, Kravers can satisfy the craving. The combination of selections, price, and time bring back memories of the old Sizzler commercials in the early 90’s. “I don’t have a lot of time. I don’t have a lot of money. I want a lot of choice.” You will have no trouble meeting that expectation at Kravers. You can judge for yourself on what you like the best. For me, the pulled pork sandwich was good, but I might try a quesadilla next time. I love quesadillas.
This has been a traveling review brought to you by the Nomad Consultant. I review all kinds of places wherever I stay during my travels. Stay tuned for more travel reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment