Sunday, September 9, 2012

One Week Left to Live with DirecTV

This coming week is my last week on DirecTV. I will be cutting the cord this week. No cable or satellite service for one year is the challenge. In preparation I have purchased a Western Digital Live TV media player and a Mohu Leaf HD Antenna to receive OTA TV channels. I have done testing with each of those with good success. Sunday, I watched some football using my Mohu Leaf and the signal was flawless.

This weekend I will have some work to do. I am cleaning up wires and moving some equipment around the house. Since the DirecTV box will be moved out the Cable modem and wireless router are getting moved to the front of the house and new cable management is being put in.

I am excited about taking on the cable cutter challenge. I'm also somewhat apprehensive as I have not been without cable or satellite TV service since sometime around 1996. I haven't been without a DVR for at least 8 years. It's been a dependent relationship that I choose to longer be a participant. The biggest complaints could potentially come from the kids. They've never known TV without a DVR. They think everyone can pause and rewind live TV. I'm about take my kids to the stone age with a 46-inch HD TV, high speed Internet, laptops in the house with Netflix, a couple hundred DVD movies available on demand from the network movie library, and no ability to pause or rewind live TV. Poor things. They're going to have such a rough time with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment