Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Hidden HD TV Signal

I'm getting ready to cut the cord at home. No more Satellite and Cable TV subscriptions. I'm already taking advantage of my Western Digital Live TV Media Player, and I am cutting out my Satellite subscription in September. That's when the termination fee is less than what I would pay for the months I have remaining on the contract.

I do have Cable Modem at home and get a some pretty good speeds on it. I had heard long ago that people could sometimes get Cable TV channels on a Cable Internet line just by splitting the cable before it connects to the cable modem. So, I gave it a shot this past weekend.

Lo and behold I pulled in about 45 channels. Out of those, I think only about 10 to 15 or so were actually worth watching. But, there were quite a few coming across in HD. Yep, full 1080p video and Dolby Digital sound. Not bad! I don't think I will be utilizing it, because I couldn't get all of the local channels. I had heard some lower channels were reserved for other purposes and that canceled out two of my favorite local channels. I was able to catch 3 different broadcasts of the same network, though. Here they go by WFAA, but there were three different broadcasts of it and two were in full HD. I thought that was somewhat fascinating. I knew networks broadcast different information depending on the market, but since this is a local network, it seemed odd to have 3 different broadcasts.

In a couple more weeks I will be trying an HD antenna and see what I get over the air. I'm excited to try this cable cutting thing. It has real potential to make an impact in how people watch TV, how networks respond to the trend, and what cable and satellite providers are going to do to keep their customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment