Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lonnie Q's - The Best Bar-B-Que in Topeka

I went to a place called Lonnie Q's today in Topeka, KS. It's a local Bar-B-Que joint that is independently owned and operated. I was able to meet Lonnie on my visit today and he is a great guy that cooks fantastic food. Being from Dallas, I get all kinds of flavors of Bar-B-Que from Sonny Bryan's to Spring Creek. Lonnie Q's ranks right up there in both value and taste.

I ordered the combo plate with a sandwich and two sides. I had the pulled pork sandwich, "World Famous" cheesy taters, and baked beans. There was no shorting the serving size here. The pickle spear barely fit on the plate. My sandwich was piled high, the beans were plentiful, and the "World Famous" cheesy taters showed and tasted why they were "World Famous". If you haven't heard of them, you're not alone. I had never had or heard of them before I got there. However, once you have them it's impossible to stop talking about them.

The sandwich was simple, but full of flavor. I have had buns that were dry tasting and airy making the food taste dry overall. Refer to my Kravers review. This was not that kind of bun. It was a good moist bun with a ton of pork in between. I had a couple of home made sauces to choose from. I really liked the spicy Bar-B-Que sauce. The sauce was a little too watery in texture for my liking, but the taste was great. I like Bar-B-Que sauce to be a little thicker so that it doesn't drain off the sandwich too much. The taste of the sauce was full and spicy, so it was a conflict of likings for me. I have to give it a good grade overall, though.

The baked beans were pretty good. I don't know if they were canned or made from scratch, but nonetheless they tasted great. Now, on to the "World Famous" cheesy taters. These taters are a great change up to normal mashed potatoes. From what I could see and taste they consisted of shredded potatoes mixed with plenty of butter, cheese, and I believe a coating of corn flakes. It's an unlikely combination that is fantastically great. I could hurt myself eating those chessy taters. At the very least I could eat enought to where I'd have to rolled out the door once I was done.

I loved Lonnie Q's. If I could eat Bar-B-Que everyday without consequences, I'd eat there every opportunity I get. Those "World Famous" cheesy taters are definitely a crowd pleaser. His menu is simple and effective. You can;t go wrong with anything you choose. If you want Bar-B-Que, you get Bar-B-Que. From fall-off-the-bone ribs, to juicy pork, to tasty brisket, he's got it all.

For about $10 I got a drink, a sandwich, and two sides. You can't go wrong here. You better check the hours before you go, Lonnie's isn't open every day. Some days of the week are lunch only and some are lunch and dinner. Whenever you decide to show up be prepared to wait in line. The word is out about Lonnie's among the locals. Now, I am trying to put it out there for the tourists. Go to Lonnie Q's for some fantastic Bar-B-Que.

I'm going to be back in Topeka in a couple more weeks. Guess where I'm going to have lunch at least once while I'm here?

No comments:

Post a Comment