Thursday, July 7, 2011

Horny Goats, Smokey Robinson, and Beer

Normally, mentioning something like that in the same sentence can elicit some really bad images. And sometimes it is the premise behind a joke on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. Neither are the case this time. These three phrases actually go great together. Let me tell you about a really cool brewery I found in Milwaukee called the Horny Goat Hideaway. Well, I say, "I found", but the cool crowd in Milwaukee already know about it. It is located just a few minutes north of General Mitchell International Airport off I-94. They brew their own beer, have an awesome semi-outdoor and large bar area, and a really big outdoor dining area. They even sport about 8 beach volley courts. That can be nice entertainment on a summer afternoon.

Anyway, the place is a little hidden off the beaten path, hence Hideaway in the name. They have plenty of real estate for parking and the brewery is directly on site with tours available by appointment. The staff was friendly and attentive, even in the bar area. I found easy parking in the huge unpaved back lot. Upon arrival, the whole place was alive with lots of activity, live music, and beach volleyball going on in the back area of the property. This is not your typical hide away brewery. All of the eating is done outside. The bar has a modern industrial feel with roll-up doors all around and plenty of large LCD TVs sprinkled around. It's hard to find a spot that doesn't have at least one great viewing angle. I would have had to wait for a seat in the outdoor dining area, so I took a readily available seat at the bar and planted myself right in front of one of those TVs to watch the baseball game.

The menu was pretty simple. I had a choice of beer, burgers, salads, and appetizers. Even though it sounds bland, it was anything but. The recommended burger with the Smokey Robinson. A hamburger topped with pulled pork, haystack onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and barbecue sauce held between a large round bun with a toothpick that could have been used by Paul Bunion. Even though I already had a pulled pork sandwich earlier today, I was game to try this one. Here's something to remember when going to dinner later in the evening and it's going to be crowded, don't expect all flavors of their brewed beer to be available. They were out of the Hopped Up 'n Horny, and the Horny Blonde. I finally settled on the Belgian Wheat. I know, no fun name for that one is there?

My beer arrived rather quickly, the burger arrived about 10 minutes later. Right on time. The beer was very smooth with no bitter taste. It looked every bit of a wheat beer. I'll be honest. I'm not much of beer connoisseur. I know a good beer when I get a hold of one, though, and this was a good beer. It was smooth and consistent throughout the whole glass with no bitter after taste. Best of all, it went great with my Smokey Robinson. You can see the picture of this beauty below. The burger was piled high with all of the toppings. I didn't know if it was going to fit in my mouth or if I was going to have to cut it up. I guess I now know that I have a big mouth. Some of you may have already known that, though. The burger fit and I went to town on that thing. The burger meat itself was ok. Nothing spectacular. What set that particular burger apart from any other was the pulled pork and the rest of the toppings. The pork was tender, cooked evenly, and covered in barbecue sauce. The haystack onions added some great background flavor and the veggies were fresh. There's nothing worse than limp lettuce and under ripe tomatoes on a burger. These veggies were spot on for freshness and taste. As a side, I got tater tots with my Smokey Robinson. These were pretty good tots. I won't babble on about those, though.

I finally finished every last savory bite of my burger and washed it all down with the last few sips of my smooth, cold, and great tasting Belgian Wheat. That meal was worth every penny. I ended up paying a little under $20 with a tip included. If I could get away with eating like that every day I'd do it again tomorrow, but alas, I am over 35 and therefore am destined to have to eat like my mom taught me. Those meals will have to be fewer as I get older.

If you are ever in the Milwaukee area and want to find a good local brewery, you need to check out the Horny Goat Hideaway. Check out their website for any specials going on. You can also plan ahead for what you want to eat as their full menu is available there, too. I think I will sleep well tonight after that meal.

This has been a traveling review brought to you by the Nomad Consultant. I review all kinds of places wherever I stay during my travels. Stay tuned for more travel reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment